For all of you twitter users that is waiting to get your hands on the BlackBerry twitter client, well tonight is going to be a good night for you. I just recieved an email stating that the Twitter for BlackBerry client will be available in Public Beta for users around the world to check out.
Here is the email message:
The Twitter® for BlackBerry® smartphone application is about to go into public beta. As of 9 p.m. EST tonight, BlackBerry users around the globe will be able to download the app and give it a try.
Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones has been available in a limited preview since February 11, 2010. The public beta version that will launch later today incorporates the following new features based on preview user feedback:
Notifications of New Tweets and @Replies/Mentions
– When an @reply/mention is received, the user will be notified with a splat on the BlackBerry home screen ribbon as well as the application icon
– Users will also be notified of new tweets in the BlackBerry Messages list
Twitter Lists Functionality
– Comprehensive option to build a list of Twitter users on any subject
- Ability to add members to the list and view subscribers of the lists
– Users can also view other users’ lists
– Users can edit their own Twitter profile from the application
– Users can also change their profile image from the application
– Users can customize the look of the application with the ability to:
- Show/hide the navigation bar and tweetbox
- Change the font/style to their own preferred choice
Enlarged Avatar (Profile Picture) Viewing
– Users can click on a Twitter profile image and it will be enlarged for better viewing abilities
Improved in-Application Caching/Polling
– Increased on-device caching for Timeline; Mentions to improve application performance
These new features build on Twitter for BlackBerry’s strengths at its original preview launch:
- Push Notifications for Direct Messages
- Timeline Support
- Following & Followers
- Posting, Sending, Deleting, Replying and Re-Tweeting Tweets
- User/Saved/Keyword/Proximity Search
- Tweet Photos/Links
- Trending Topics
- Seamless integration into core BlackBerry Applications
- URL Shortening
- Auto Update
Twitter for BlackBerry Fun Fact
Did You Know that Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones allows users to follow someone on Twitter with just a click? Simply send your Twitter handle (@xxx) over BBM or email and have a contact click on it. Twitter for BlackBerry will open up and they can start following you right away!
Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones will be available for download from BlackBerry App World™ (in the Test Center) (www.blackberry.com/appworld) or on BlackBerry Beta Zone (www.blackberry.com/betazone – for North American and UK users).
Make sure you check it out and be apart of the public beta.
Note this is a beta version so it is not going to be perfect. If you find something wrong leave feedback in the Blackberry App world or on this post.